Friday, January 4, 2008

A Freeze in the Tropics

A freeze two nights in a row makes this......
A very sad coleus.

And this.............

A very sad looking banana plant.

When it gets this cold it is not just cold air descending on our plants so much as cold all around them like putting them in a freezer-we put tarp over and down the sides but this did not prevent the air temp around them from doing its work. All the other plants I snuggled under their covers are fine-it was just the ones most susceptible to cold that died. Now we know why the hummingbirds fly even souther....local news is showing clips of other wildlife that is also struggling-namely, iguanas...falling out of trees which can be an annoyance, right?! Bill has a few sad looking tomato plants in his garden, too, and time will tell how they do.

Today, the sun is out and the temperature hit 60 so the freeze warning is over for now and probably won't repeat this year....live and learn.

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

POST SURGERY TIME

I was able to get a ton of knitting time in  while in the Surgery Center with Bill yesterday!   He did well but it is harder to have surgery...