Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Learning something new.........

Hey, I know this is knitting and I already know how to do that! But, I am knitting a circular shawl and it is a lace pattern that is not for the feint of heart! I have tried to knit with this spider web thin yarn before and it has beat me every time. (Ripping out is tough enough without having to go blind also!) But I have succumbed to the siren call once again because of a recent posts on a friend's blog plus an ad from KnitPicks, one of my favorite yarn catalogs. I had to give it a try! I ordered the pattern (it is an instant download-if I had waited the courage might have waned!) and pulled the yarn out of its banishment and I began. I did have to rip out several times and found that I could not get it going in the middle of Bill's stories so I found a place to hide and pulled off a couple of inches! I did not do a victory dance , though, because I am familiar with the treachery of lace knitting and sure enough I ripped just as much as I knit the following day. I really needed some wooden needles to begin with because the metal double pointed needles were miserable but I did persevere....I could hear my Mom saying, "The first rows of any project are the toughest!" I finally began to see a pattern emerging and it even looked like the pattern! I am still leery of any friendship with this lace yet but it is starting to look like its supposed to so I am commited now! I do not look like I am enjoying myself because everytime Bill walked by and saw me knitting he asked if I was mad at something! Huh!

3 comments:

  1. Looking lovely so far!

    I hope you make peace with it this go-round, but not just for entirely unselfish reasons...! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Most impressive. Now, that is real lace.

    I enlarged the photo to get a closer look at the lace, and . . . . . is that the pattern page I see? Is there no chart? Oh, wait, can there even be a chart if it's circular?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No,there is no chart, it is just words.. which is not my favorite way to knit but the repeats are short and easy to remember each row- gratefully!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

WOOD WORKS

I cleaned the wood shop area;  the tools and the floor, etc so that I could begin work on that burl we acquired a few weeks ago!  It felt so...