Friday, September 4, 2009

Pouting....

I have never liked being a rookie at things. If I can't be good at it, I tend not to give it much more of my time. (I can thank my Dad for this philosophy!) So I am good at some things and I do them often. I can see it in my head and make it happen. When I see it in my head and can't make it happen, I admit it, I pout; and then work harder to try again. It started with an ad from CottonClouds. A beautiful set of towels. I finally sent in the order (I was miserable about the the price I paid for a pair of kitchen towels......)
BUT, these are the colors when the kit came.........nice but not the blues/browns I expected. I goofed while threading, I goofed when winding the colors on the bobbins and to say I goofed while weaving would be an understatement. I did what I usually do when something beats me-I pour my rotten attitude into manual labor! (I can thank my Mom for this philosophy!)














I clean, organize and SCRUB! I have been tackling the stucco smeared windows of the house and making them shine!
Yesterday I finally had a better outlook on the weaving. I pretended I was my own student and gave myself lots of freedom to explore color (even different ones than expected) and how they look on the warp. I changed the order of the treadlings and just had fun. I didn't worry about wasting money, or thread or time. I wove. Boy, did I have a better time in the weaving chair than I have in a week! No instructions, no expectatioins-just a good attitude and a 'what if' kind of curiousity. Who would think you could learn so much from a pile of threads!

I didn't buy a pair of kitchen towels, I bought a lesson, an experience, a thrill! Who knew....

8 comments:

  1. Good job -- that sounds like the pep talk you've given to me many times -- why is it always so hard to apply our own lectures to ourselves?! :)

    If it's any consolation, you've inspired your granddaughter with all of your weaving, whether it be perfect or imperfect...today she asked me how she could cut up bags to weave just like Grandma...we settled for construction paper weaving and she was happy...at least for now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm happy you just enjoyed yourself, sometimes I do the same, kill the mojo with self doubt. But in the end I do what feels right and usually I love the end results.

    I think from the previous post you might want to set up some classes to teach your grandbaby, oh a new weaver born!! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So maybe it was a bargain at that, huh?? The colors sure are pretty AND your windows are clean. BONUS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And the colours are working so prettily - well done you [and congratulations to the teacher!]

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a lot to weaving. So sometimes it can be really frustrating.

    Good for you for persevering and weaving those towels!! I still use the first set I wove frequently!!!

    I wish that my instinct was to clean when I get frustrated! (Chocolate springs to my mind instead.)

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Lord is good to turn our frustration into growth! (And you can't complain about clean windows either!) :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, first of all, your weaving there is really beautiful.

    Second of all, this was a really cool post. It's hard to talk about being stuck with creative work and why. What you described happens to me too, and it can get pretty ugly in here *taps head* when it happens, so it's sort of reassuring to hear it happens to other folks too. I liked hearing how you worked with yourself to get through it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. But you got some lovely towels, too! That a bonus!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

GLOWING WORK!

The two layer cake scrambled tops are finished!   The dimensions are 40 50".   I have the backing so they will be heading to the frame ...