Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Efficiency VS Perserverance

Bill and Caleb went to play some golf even though it was very cool (for us) and I decided to use the time to  warp the loom since I haven't done any weaving in a while again.  I warped up a very long (24') warp and began the process of dressing the loom when they left just before noon. When they got back at just before 5, I was just finishing the winding, sleying, filling, goofing, phone ringing, back breaking, cat-buzzing job! 

After a delicious and enjoyable dinner, I sat to weave a few picks to get rid of the bad feeling from all the warping fun and immediately saw a mistake in the very center of the warp.  I had to quit for the day.

This morning, the sheetrock delivery came and the men unloaded the supplies according to the contractors distribution-so many wall / ceiling boards in each room-very convenient and considerate! 

They have a neat boom that reduces their carry distance.  Bill and I marvelled at the ease of their job considering how we have done it ourselves in year's past--this is definitely the way to do it! (Yes, we had another colder freeze last night;  21 degrees for most of the night!)                     

Nyki likes the new play surfaces-she didn't like the empty room!


I redressed the loom this morning and when I wove another 4 " and then I could see two mistakes-at least they were near the edges. 

There is no unweaving as in unknitting-you must be merciless and cut the threads and then pull them out. 

Finally-I am errorless (well, without errors in the threading-I see I still have to work on my even beating) , and determined.  Humble dishtowel, you are on your way! (weaving details to follow tomorrow )

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry - did you say 24 yards?!? That's a lot of dishtowels!!

    I'm green with envy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try, try again sounds great and is a great principle, but it's not very fun in practice!!! Glad you made it through to the truly fun part!

    Fun to see the last few big jobs getting underway...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job on coming back and fixing the errors. If I didn't do it right then I can't say that it would.

    I brought most of our plants into the garage.

    Excited about the Sheetrock?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 15 yards is the longest warp I have ever put on. And boy, you are one fast loom dresser!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is possible to unweave...just open the last shed woven and throw the shuttle. The excess weft needs to get wound back on the bobbin after each pass, and it's a bit tedious, but it's do-able...especially if you are short on either warp or weft! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I'm a bit behind in my blog reading!! I can't believe that I've already seen pictures of that sheetrock on the walls with mud....in just 10 days!

    It is a bummer that unweaving isn't as easy or satisfying as unknitting. I like how in knitting you can do a sample swatch and then reclaim the yarn so easily.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

A LITTLE OF THIS AND THAT

I finished the mug rugs;  6 of them in fact!  They are 5 x 5".  I am not a coffee or tea drinker but I do like hot chocolate~ I made an...