Saturday, April 10, 2010

Saturday Stuff

Bling posed for a picture this morning when I went to the mailbox.  I had taken the camera so I could get a picture of the fringe tree in bloom but he thought he would make a more interesting shot.
In the sewing room this morning I finished this PortaPocket purse insert.  I have had the fabric and pattern for some time now and the mood was right to conquer it finally.  These kind of things are so hard to make the first time but after that, you understand the goal and it gets easier. 
Yup, it was a lot faster the second time! 
The reason I bought the pattern was so that I could have a fast and efficient way to change purses without all the hassle of changes all the S T U F F !  Voila!  It fits perfectly in my woven plastic bag purse.
The one change I made to the pattern was to serge the edges instead of bind them with bias tape.  It is a good finish and much less stressful than applying the binding.  I am going to make a bunch of these!
I received some raw alpaca in the mail today. 
I carded it on my Ashford drum carder, rolled it up and put it on the pile of batts by my spinning wheel.  Guess who robbed the stash?  She kept kneading it and purring.  I can only guess at the feline thoughts this alpaca invoked!  Silly kitty!
And this evening I finished the last cotton dish towel and dish cloth on the loom!  It is a welcome end.  I will sew, wash and dry these first thing on Monday! 

8 comments:

  1. Those purse inserts are a great idea; not that I ever change bags (having only one for every day use and a satchel for work) but I know a lot of women who do!

    When I'm a bit more confident with my sewing I think I'll consider making myself a bag that suits my needs - commercially made bags promise much but don't always deliver! I should do something about my knitting bag because things always get lost in there!

    Nyki made me smile - when DD was given a whole lot of different fleeces, Tom would be very wary of the camel!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun, out-of-the-ordinary accomplishments!

    Molly would like to help Nyki kill the alpaca...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some fabulous purse inserts! I've seen a few commercial ones, but none as cute as these!! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hee! My cat has been known to roll in raw sheep's fleece and drool all over it. Go figure!

    Is that rose-gray alpaca?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You have been one productive lady - bags, handwoven towels, and carded alpaca, too. I love those portapockets!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the port pocket, I have the store bought one and use it only once, not enough pocket and they were small and tight. Yours look great. I'm glad the alpaca was a fun diversion for the kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The purse inserts are so cool! This is a very nice idea! Like those accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the purse insert idea. Can you share were we can get the pattern to make one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

FLOWERS ON FRIDAY

But first-yesterday's Shop Hop went well-we discovered a very nice new shop in St Augustine;  always a good find!   What I bought this t...