Monday, May 16, 2011

Blast Off and Blooms

 The shuttle is hard to see in this picture but it was nice to be able to see the last one blast off while standing in our backyard!
 There are so many blooms on our magnolia tree-they are hard to see in this shot but the close up reallys shows them off-
 if only I could share the fragrance!  There are so many flowers that are not fragrant but this one does it right!
 The blooms are large-8-10" across and the breeze carries the sweet aroma throughout the yard!
 Our mailbox has a new resident-a wren has built a nest inside the unused newspaper box under our mailbox-she flies out when I get the mail-I hope she doesn't scare the mail delivery person!
 The hibiscus has new blooms almost every day-they will continue to fill the yard with color until the frost interrupts their show next Dec/Jan.
 The desert rose is outdoing itself-the hummingbirds like it, too.
 In the back yard, the mexican petunias are filling in nicely after their winter freeze setback.  They are starting to spread now which was the plan when we planted them!
 They share garden space with these plumbagos-the blue is a pretty view from the pool area.
 In the hedge next to the house there is an area covered with the trumpet vines.........
I am on the foot now and the pattern is nearing the toes, finally!  I never have second sock syndrome but I might have my first attack-I am sorely tempted to knit a plain sock and rip this one out!  I will try and be strong and resist but.......

5 comments:

  1. Glad you got to see the shuttle go...this whole "end of an era" thing makes me sad.

    All of the blooms are gorgeous...you do have a visual feast on your little slice of paradise, don't you?!

    Sorry I can't give any help with the sock...you know that if I dislike doing something it gets tossed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sock is pretty!

    I envy you all the pretty flowers. If our weather ever decides to even out, maybe we can get ours planted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your garden looks fabulous now! I tried to grow plumbago, but I reckon the lack of warmth in our summer is at fault - they never flowered:((
    and the sock - is it any help that I'd like to see the finished result?:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wren in the mail box is so cute - I wonder what possessed her to build a nest there?

    Gorgeous spring garden - we are coming in to winter so things are not looking very pretty at the moment.

    As for the sock, I'm with Marsel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job capturing it this time;)
    love you, caleb

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

WOOD WORKS

I cleaned the wood shop area;  the tools and the floor, etc so that I could begin work on that burl we acquired a few weeks ago!  It felt so...