Several years ago, the finish went on my Ashford Joy spinning wheel. It has been sticky ever since and not attractive to spin with it! It was a huge dust bunny and not in a good way!
I worked for 5 hours but I got it all apart, all sanded to remove the old polyurethane finish and then waxed all the cleaned parts and then put it all back together!! ( I took each part and put it in a baggie labeled well so there would be no question of what went where! ) It looks so much better and my socks don't stick to the pedals anymore!
( I will share with you my consternation when I was about halfway to having it back together and I saw the poly drive band sitting. over. there. and not on the wheel; which should have happened as step one. Nothing to do but take it all back apart and start again. I was much quicker on the second assembly! lol)