Saturday, August 24, 2013

What Have I Been Doing?

 We had a beautiful view of the 'Blue Moon'.
 Bill picked a branch from the Date Palm tree so I could try a batch of jelly from it.  (The jam batch of two years ago was not a success.)
 Doesn't it look delicious?  The fruit are super sweet.
 The branch looks cool when it is empty of all its fruit.  I was tempted to keep it but it is large at 2 1/2' and not really.......well, you know.
 I got a large pot of fruit and simmered it all day to make a mash so I could strain it for jelling.

Suffice it to say, I scorched the bottom and ruined the whole batch.   Have I ever mentioned I do not shine my brightest in the kitchen......
 A friend gave me a  package of these pre-cut polar fleece fringed squares.  I put it together and have a wonderful throw!
 I worked on a new outfit for Aria all week-she turns one this coming week!
 The diaper cover is so cute!  I have to get buttons before I can say, 'done'  on this !
 I did successfully bake some more discs for wind chimes!
 Even drilled the holes and strung them together!
 Another batch of soap is drying in the mold.  This one is orange scented and also has orange peel exfoliant added.  It smells wonderful so far!
 I have finished the Shetland wool, all 1,688 yards of fingering weight wool!  I can get started on the newly designed shawl this week!
 I watched an old program about Knitting featuring Cat Bordhi about starting toe-up socks with a garter stitch square so I gave it a try with some left over sock yarn!  This is a little girl's sock.....
it is cute and an easy beginning!
Our banana trees have come back full steam from the frost of the winter and we have quite the grove now.  They are about 10' tall.
And the best thing is we have new bananas growing!  They are early enough that we don't have to worry about frost taking them!   I will keep watching them so I can get a picture of the bloom fully opened, too.  As it is right now, the bud is about 15" long.

2 comments:

  1. This is a nice post with lots of happy things (well, except for the date jam, but we won't think about that one!). I want to put in my order for a bar of the orange soap -- that sounds heavenly!

    I am so thrilled that the banana tree keeps going even after it gets beaten up -- it will be fun to watch it do its thing without frost ruining the party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, that must have been frustrating (the jelly I mean). I had no idea you were not an expert in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

A LITTLE OF THIS AND THAT

I finished the mug rugs;  6 of them in fact!  They are 5 x 5".  I am not a coffee or tea drinker but I do like hot chocolate~ I made an...