Saturday, September 7, 2013

Completion is So Satisfying

I finished knitting the shawl last night; lace doesn't look like much until you block it!
I couldn't find my blocking board so I had to improvise.  This is the shawl I designed after taking the class on Craftsy! It blocked out at 52" at widest and 26" long at point.  Yes, hours later I found the blocking board...
Here is a close up of one half of the shawl to show the design.
 I wish I could share with you how light and airy it is.  The Shetland yarn is the reason for this; it is an incredible yarn for shawls.  This is how I will most often wear a shawl.
But it is pretty worn this way both in the front and with the point in the back, too.
This is so you can see the full back.  I am mildly proud of this adventure!
 I also conquered the table runner, sewing all the borders on, pressing all the appliques in place then stitching them.  And then I noticed..........the center appliques are not centered!  I could have tried to remove it but as the Amish say, it is good for the proud to have a humility block.
I have it loaded on the frame to begin the stitching on Monday!
 I did get in a batch of soap today, too.  This one is scented with lemon!  Oh, the house smells so good and fresh!  I tried to color this batch of soap but when the temperature heated up, the color darkened.  It will be interesting to see what color it becomes when it cools by morning!
After setting it out, I covered it with a blanket so let the temperature rise and put the soap in what is referred to as 'gel phase'  it will cool and have a translucence in the finished bar-not clear like glycerin soap but a good sheen in the usual goat's milk bar color! 
Like this.  This is last week's bars all wrapped and labeled.  See how they have a good clear color-it is because I have learned how to do this gel phase thing so it makes the bars look great.  It's amazing how much I can get done when I stay home........now to get some spinning done until bedtime.

5 comments:

  1. That shawl is stunning! How much yarn did it take and how much do you have left over? You got a pound of it, if I remember right. Kris is going to love seeing what her sheep became.

    So, what are you doing with your soap? Are you selling it somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shawl is so delicate looking,Really pretty!

    I love the table runner, & the leaves never fall from the trees in a perfectly centered fashion either. Besides, if you want to puta vase in the center , you willstillbe able to see a bit of leaf sticking out. It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful finished projects! I can't wait to touch the shawl. Your vase would have covered up perfectly-centered leaves anyway...I think this will look even better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shawl is stunning! You could appliqué or embroider a wee butterfly or bee near the centre flower to bring it back into balance if you find it bothers you too much. Love the soaps -- they look so professional. Are you going to sell them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful job on the shawl designing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

A LITTLE OF THIS AND THAT

I finished the mug rugs;  6 of them in fact!  They are 5 x 5".  I am not a coffee or tea drinker but I do like hot chocolate~ I made an...