Thursday, July 31, 2014

Dutchman's Pipe ( Epiphyllum oxypetalum )

Twice this year, my Cereus Cactus or the Dutchman's Pipe it is commonly called has bloomed.  
It blooms at night when I am normally soundly sleeping.  I am unaware of this occasion until I  notice this large, deflated bloom laying at its feet and know I missed it again!
Well NOT this time!  This is night one-
It looks like a fairy pod!   I love the way the outer petals wrap around the bud.
During day two it was getting large and airier.
So it could do this!  Now you can see the resemblance to its name!
The bloom is about 5" across and it smells divine!  Full and rich and I wish I could share it with you!
 I took so many pictures because I stayed awake way past my bedtime to get the pictures!  I was a bit enchanted.   The nights are balmy, very warm and all the night noises made it seem like a place very different than my front yard!  The cats thought it was novel to have me sitting in the front yard in the middle of the night, too!
 From the place where the appendage comes from the leaf to the bloom is about 8".   This stem is holding a very large bloom.
 You can see why I was so excited to finally get to meet this magical blossom!
 Day three daytime.  The bloom is drooping but it was open for night three just not as perky.
Today it is but a sad rendition of itself.......I am so glad I didn't miss its blooming this time!

You can read about this here if you would like some more information!

3 comments:

  1. So very cool! I'm so glad you got to see it and document it.

    I had to chuckle picturing the cats, half-pleased and half-indignant at your upsetting of the approved routine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard about night-blooming cereus but never known anon who actually owned one. This is SO exotic!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

A LITTLE OF THIS AND THAT

I finished the mug rugs;  6 of them in fact!  They are 5 x 5".  I am not a coffee or tea drinker but I do like hot chocolate~ I made an...