Friday, May 19, 2017

Releasing the Color!

 It's that time of year when the new fruit are starting on the prickly pear cactus
 so I harvest last year's fruit!
 I give them a good drive through the food processor-not too fine
but enough to release all the soft insides from the heavy skin!
 I put the slurry into the big pickling jar and add a bit of water.
I give it a good stir and then take it outside....
...so it can ferment for a week!
(I am making a prickly pear cactus dye pot
so next week I will be dyeing some yarn or roving for spinning!)

6 comments:

  1. Looks like fun!!! I made prickly pear soap once using the juice and it was very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, that juice is going to create some gorgeous yarn/roving. I'm eager to see how it dyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is going to make really cool wool wash/dye. Love this idea. Steep away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty, pretty, pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those fruits are so gorgeous and the dye liquid is beautiful, too. That's a fun annual project!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

SUNSHINE!

The Heliopsis is in bloom again and has many buds ready to continue the beauty for most of the summer! But I had to reach quite high to get ...