Thursday, November 30, 2017

Soft and Hard

 I had the idea of using up the remaining blue and beige strips from the log cabin triangles 
so I made some rail fence and log cabin squares.
  I will combine these and see how many I can get from this little pile for a lap quilt.
I have been spinning up the batts of Southdown I carded last week
 and it has bugged me that there are so many nepps in the wool
 so I dug out the combs (lethal weapons!) and combed strips off the batts to make some lovely top.
There was a Lot of waste-the short miserable bits that I didn't like spinning-
so I carded them up again to finish the bobbin I started. 
 And this will be spun on a new bobbin to compare how this will spin. 
It was a good lesson in combing!  
I enjoyed pulling the fiber off the combs into roving-very relaxing!
 Then after lunch I headed out to take the grout residue off the tiles. 
 Not an easy job of it.  
After two hours, I only had half of the job done. 
 The new grout has plastic in it because it just doesn't rub off like the old stuff.  
What a work out! 
 I will definitely try a new technique on the other sides-
so much for following directions on the grout bucket!

7 comments:

  1. You are scaring me. We are getting ready to start tiling the bathroom and it's been over 20 years since we have done any tile work. Yesterday The Mister had a fight with the caulking. Yikes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so busy!! Love those squares you are making...don't understand or know a thing about spinning (better that way...don't need to be tempted) and grout - yuck! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chimney just gets prettier and prettier -- it's going to be such a fantastic focal point out front!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't tempt me with your log cabins! I've got all kinds of strips cut, but I don't want to start just yet. I want to get a few other projects done first!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see a huge difference in the tiles. NICE work. I love all log cabins..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can the nepps be used in something like dryer balls?

    I can see that the tile work would be exhausting, but it looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fireplace is going to be amazing. Love your log cabins.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

GLOWING WORK!

The two layer cake scrambled tops are finished!   The dimensions are 40 50".   I have the backing so they will be heading to the frame ...