Tuesday, May 8, 2018

You Know it's May When...

 The prickly pear cactus is in bloom!
Now is the time to pick the old fruit for dyeing wool again!
 Last night Bill and the boys were trimming branches in the yard,
branches that hang down too low which endanger a mower!
He reached up with his pole saw after a good trim and cut me some blooms
from our magnolia grandiflora tree-a 70' beauty!
I was sitting and knitting watching them ,
the boys ran these flowers over to me and the aroma was heady!
This morning....the blooms turn all brown and the smell is not as incredible.
A very short lived bloom but oh, the aroma!
See how beautiful the 'wrong' side of the leaf is-a stunning bronze color.
I can see why these flowers are a favorite subject for artists!

Little Guy is doing a bit better this morning
 but Boy Wonder woke up with the stuffy nose and fever!
Snuggles and story books to the rescue!

7 comments:

  1. I saw a blooming magnolia at a Colorado tree farm two weeks ago. I had no idea theyngrew this far north. They are beautiful.

    Books and cuddles are the perfect medicine for sick boys. I hope they both feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to go check out the cactus we have in town. There is an antique store that has a huge bed of them out front and I love it when they bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The magnolias remind us to enjoy being in the moment.

    Hope the boys are on the mend soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sometimes the most precious smells are the most fleeting with florals. Glad you got a bouquet delivered to your door

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely blooms! I was out walking the past couple of day and all the blooming trees are showing off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best wishes to the boys. Both the magnolia and the cactus blooms are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful flowers! The first time I brought a magnolia blossom inside, I couldn’t figure out where the light, citrus-y smell was coming from — such a delicate scent for such a big, stately blossom! Yum.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

SUNSHINE!

The Heliopsis is in bloom again and has many buds ready to continue the beauty for most of the summer! But I had to reach quite high to get ...