Friday, September 21, 2018

A Story of Machine Knitting

 This is where I make those newborn hats.  
This is the operation center!
The yarn is being held in the golden bucket in the middle of the table
 and is fed through the tensioning rods before it is fed through the carriage ready to go!
First I have to pull the needles I use for the ribbing ;  
one on the front bed and the next on the back-every other needle across 94 needles.
 After the first pass of the carriage, a zig-zag row of yarn happens.
I place the comb (held in front of the machine bed here-
 and place it up between the two beds among the yarn meanders.
 This wire goes through the top of the combe teeth to lock the stitches onto the comb.
 Next is the time for weighting the comb-
 -there are holes on the bottom of the comb to hang these from. 
 This adds 2lbs to the comb-it is very heavy!
 Now the dials are adjusted and the knitting begins!
 I zip from one side to the other
 (well, it uses more muscle than I had thought so I am building up some good biceps!) 
 keeping track of the number of rows with the row counter which is tripped with each pass. 
 In this case, I knit 22 passes of ribbing which makes 11 rows of rib 
because one pass knits the back bed and the returning pass knits the front.  
After this I transfer all the front stitches onto the back bed, 
filling those unused needles between the ones back. 
 Now that the front bed is empty, it can drop out of the way to place little weights 
on the edge stitches so they stay anchored well. 
 I reset the row counter and knit 40 rows of stockinette stitching, 
the purl side faces me here. 
                                      
 On the 40th row, I remove one stitch and place it on the needle next to it to make a k2tog across, 
then I knit one final row. 
 Once the yarn tail is cut, I thread a darning needle and remove all the stitches from the needles.
  I remove the knitting from the machine, 
remove the wire from the comb which releases the stitches and then seam up the hat!
After I make a pom pom and sew it to the top, I add the hat to the pile. 
 One hour completes the hat,
I used a Cascade yarn , a blend of cotton and acrylic which made this a soft and cheerful hat!

8 comments:

  1. Interesting! Thanks for the photos and the explanation. I wondered how the machine worked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting...looks like a lot of work to me, but an hour is not a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mom had one of those machines when I was a kid. I had a lot of sweaters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds complicated, but I'm sure actually "doing" the work it all comes together in your mind.

    The hats are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh thank you. I do not have room for a machine! thank you thank you. I love how you are showing us how interesting and different machine knitting can be!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a knitting machine once, but it got pitched during a move. Now I wish I had held on to it. But I was inept at using it, so it had to go.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

SUNSHINE!

The Heliopsis is in bloom again and has many buds ready to continue the beauty for most of the summer! But I had to reach quite high to get ...