Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Now for Gardening!

 We had a  bountiful rain late yesterday which cooled us down for a change 
and gave relief from the high temperatures.
The Pagoda flowers are all in bloom
 and it is a beautiful riot of oranges, reds and yellows in my front yard!
 The knotweed is still attracting butterflies.
 The red ginger plants have all put out their cones.
 The lantana are bringing color , too, even though many gardeners consider this to be a weed and pull it.  It will become a large bush if you let it grow uncontrolled but I like the hardy 2-3" bush size.
 The firestar is still going strong-both hummers and butterflies enjoy these tubular blooms. 
 The bush can grow very large but the frost last year reduced it to a 3' size right now which is perfect.
 The roselle tea stalks are growing inches every day (think 10' at maturity!) and will be blooming soon.  These are also in the hibiscus family so the leaves and blooms are edible.  The boys love picking a leaf and eat it while in the yard!
 This is cape honeysuckle (not the fragrant blooms of up north!) which we also keep under control so it is manageable!  You have to be firm with those viney stalks!
 The cape honeysuckle and the pagoda blooms make a great combination!
Up by the front door I add mums for the Fall but all of my bromeliads, crotons, coleus and poinsettia all work well together!  (left side)
(right side of the front door)
As for knitting or quilting....it just isn't happening.

9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful variety of plants in your yard. It must keep you busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much beautiful color in your yard.

    One man's weed is another man's flower. We pay a pretty penny for lantana up here. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice that you have so many blooms! Even though it is still now fall here, everything has shriveled up and died. It's moldy and musty and the bugs are having a field day. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a botanical garden! We just have dead stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden is so different from mine! It's spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your garden. We have a ton of mold in the air and I cannot pull weeds. Which I am happy about. The gardens are wild and full of ragweed, but we have to wait until the frost comes at night. I am knitting however!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow beautiful garden. That first photo is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the pagoda flowers are beautiful! wouldn't they give you inspiration for a lovely quilt? you have so many zingy colours in your garden now - ours is going downhill fast. the only strong colour just now is my jap. maple with the nearly artificial looking red leaves - but they'll all be gone in a week or so:(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous blooms! I like lantana, too, and planted some on purpose this year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

SOME KNITTING TIME

I will be working on my sock knitting today since I will be in the waiting room for quite a while;   Bill is having surgery to remove his ga...