Monday, September 17, 2007

Spinnin' Finn






I have tried a new fiber and I love it! It is wool from a Finn sheep, very long fibers with a nice sheen so the finished yarn has a luster! The fiber spread out is to show you how I separate it before I spin it. I split the whole roving into 2 equal parts and put one away-this will be the second skein. I then split the remaining roving into 2 equal parts and set one aside for the second bobbin. The remaining section I separate into 6 parts along the length of the roving this time and wind them into little nests-these will be spun onto the first bobbin. I pick up a fluff ball and gently pull the fiber apart (called predrafting) to make it thinner and much longer-at least twice as long as the little nest was previously. Now, I spin! See my breathing slow, see my hands and feet work into a perfect rhthym that will transform this fluff into yarn-truly an amazing art.
Give it a try if you ever have the opportunity to-don't miss the chance due to any excuse!

3 comments:

  1. finn is lovely to spin :-)

    thanks for my grandbaby congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for the nice comment on my Favorite Socks KAL post! I so love your blogname. My grandparents used to live in Florida - wish I'd paid attention to the gardens then (am now a plant-freak). Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finn, esp finn lamb is a total delight. Imagine my thrill to find the finnsheep folks here (Oz) were selling finn/cashmere blends. Drool producing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

POST SURGERY TIME

I was able to get a ton of knitting time in  while in the Surgery Center with Bill yesterday!   He did well but it is harder to have surgery...