Thursday, June 2, 2011

Boating Adventure

 Off to a boating adventure today, we have friends along-which makes for twice the fun!
We launched in Crescent City, where the smoke was thick for most of the lake crossing.  There are 256 forest fires in Florida right now and 25 are in our county! 
 Lunch at Corky Bells, where we enjoyed a bit of air conditioning with our food-it is a hot day for a boat ride, the sun doesn't feel so hot while you are moving but it leaves its mark-we all got a bit sunkissed!
 There were quite a few others enjoying the St Johns today, also.
 Almost every river marker had an Osprey  nest and babies on it!
 We traveled south from Dunn's Creek today, went through the railroad bridge and on to ...
... a canal that was dug in the 1960's to allow the passage of barges from the Oklawaha River (a tributary) to St Johns.  This is the Buckman Lock which allows the 18' rise in water level .  The Rodman Resevoir is heralded as one of the best fishing areas in this part of Florida.  I think we will be exploring this in the future.
 The banks of the canal are raised (unusual in Florida) and planted with pines which reminded us of the Adirondacks of NY!
 Very pretty views as we slowly traveled the canal.
doesn't it look lovely? Use your imagination- not quite mountains but it is elevation!  I would love to picnic here while Bill fishes off the shore!  What a great day!

2 comments:

  1. You know, I have never seen a lock; it's on my "someday" list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a great time.

    That canal is lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

GLOWING WORK!

The two layer cake scrambled tops are finished!   The dimensions are 40 50".   I have the backing so they will be heading to the frame ...