Tuesday, December 10, 2013

December in Florida

 We waited the 120 days to pick our bananas!  Did you know they never ripen on the tree;  you have to pick them and then wait for them to lighten in color to eat them?!  The bloom begins right up close to the bananas and then keeps gaining length as  it looses petals.  It is very cool!
 We brought our bunch in to wait for it to ripen!
 Each banana is about 6" long and there are 18 of them.
 Bill had a great idea...
 The Maple trees are getting their color.  We did have one night of freezing temperatures (32F) and that was just enough to trigger the bit of red to the leaves and for the trees to drop their leaves.
 This one has a bit more of the reddish brown foliage.
 The ground is pretty under the tree, too.
 See ALL the color?!
 But overall, the pond lawn doesn't look too different from the rest of the year!
 We do have color for December in the East Palatka Holly trees-the red berries are very festive on this 'always green' tree.
Lots of berries that are ripe just in time for the first Northern Robins to arrive....any day now!
If we do not get too many more freezing temperatures, we will be getting another bunch of bananas in a few months!  (See how close the bloom is to the bananas...the stalk will just keep growing down several feet from the fruit)

5 comments:

  1. The bananas are so interesting. How lovely to have a tree to pick from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how cool is picking your own bananas! how do they ripen in the wild - do they drop off and ripen on the ground? the whole plant looks very lucious and exotic... the only red thing that we have now are the holly berries (and what the birds left of the hawthorn) - and I wouldn't be surprised if the tweeties managed to eat those before I start to make my wreath! and re-doing your kitchen so close to christmas is very brave, I think:) I hope you'll get everything done in time, but it's good to see Bill in "working mood" again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bananas are very cool! The Palatka holly tree is always so lovely. I haven't seen any robins yet...I will let you know when they pit stop in Georgia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never really thought about the ripeness of bananas on the "tree" or what the flower looks like. Although we have a temperate climate, I don't think it's warm enough to grow bananas here, well, at least not commercially. Further north, where DD now lives, is the southern end of the commercial banana growing area!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are fat bananas. What species are they? This is just so exotic to those of us in the northern tier. Your whole tropical existence is wonderful.

    So glad Bill is on the mend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

GLOWING WORK!

The two layer cake scrambled tops are finished!   The dimensions are 40 50".   I have the backing so they will be heading to the frame ...