Hey, I know this is knitting and I already know how to do that! But, I am knitting a circular shawl and it is a lace pattern that is not for the feint of heart! I have tried to knit with this spider web thin yarn before and it has beat me every time. (Ripping out is tough enough without having to go blind also!) But I have succumbed to the siren call once again because of a recent posts on a friend's blog plus an ad from KnitPicks, one of my favorite yarn catalogs. I had to give it a try! I ordered the pattern (it is an instant download-if I had waited the courage might have waned!) and pulled the yarn out of its banishment and I began. I did have to rip out several times and found that I could not get it going in the middle of Bill's stories so I found a place to hide and pulled off a couple of inches! I did not do a victory dance , though, because I am familiar with the treachery of lace knitting and sure enough I ripped just as much as I knit the following day. I really needed some wooden needles to begin with because the metal double pointed needles were miserable but I did persevere....I could hear my Mom saying, "The first rows of any project are the toughest!" I finally began to see a pattern emerging and it even looked like the pattern! I am still leery of any friendship with this lace yet but it is starting to look like its supposed to so I am commited now! I do not look like I am enjoying myself because everytime Bill walked by and saw me knitting he asked if I was mad at something! Huh!Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Learning something new.........
Hey, I know this is knitting and I already know how to do that! But, I am knitting a circular shawl and it is a lace pattern that is not for the feint of heart! I have tried to knit with this spider web thin yarn before and it has beat me every time. (Ripping out is tough enough without having to go blind also!) But I have succumbed to the siren call once again because of a recent posts on a friend's blog plus an ad from KnitPicks, one of my favorite yarn catalogs. I had to give it a try! I ordered the pattern (it is an instant download-if I had waited the courage might have waned!) and pulled the yarn out of its banishment and I began. I did have to rip out several times and found that I could not get it going in the middle of Bill's stories so I found a place to hide and pulled off a couple of inches! I did not do a victory dance , though, because I am familiar with the treachery of lace knitting and sure enough I ripped just as much as I knit the following day. I really needed some wooden needles to begin with because the metal double pointed needles were miserable but I did persevere....I could hear my Mom saying, "The first rows of any project are the toughest!" I finally began to see a pattern emerging and it even looked like the pattern! I am still leery of any friendship with this lace yet but it is starting to look like its supposed to so I am commited now! I do not look like I am enjoying myself because everytime Bill walked by and saw me knitting he asked if I was mad at something! Huh!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
FRIDAY
All the blocks are completed for this variation of Winding Ways and I will be adding two narrow borders after I get these sewn into a top. ...
-
The blocks from the Disappearing Nine Patch variation now are a top! This was a very enjoyable scrappy project and I will enjoy making ano...
-
Turning a panel into a quilt! Two rows on the top and then borders will be added. I also started on my string block stars! I had so much ...
-
All of the labor is done and the fun has begun! The pattern is called Point Threading over 12 threads. On the far right is just Tabby wea...
Looking lovely so far!
ReplyDeleteI hope you make peace with it this go-round, but not just for entirely unselfish reasons...! :)
Wow! Most impressive. Now, that is real lace.
ReplyDeleteI enlarged the photo to get a closer look at the lace, and . . . . . is that the pattern page I see? Is there no chart? Oh, wait, can there even be a chart if it's circular?
No,there is no chart, it is just words.. which is not my favorite way to knit but the repeats are short and easy to remember each row- gratefully!
ReplyDelete