Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Scraps to Orts?

The little crazy patch quilt was finished during quilt group on Monday.
While sewing last week, the woman near me asked what I was doing with all those pieces I trimmed off from my paper piecing.  Toss them, of course!
She gasped and said she was a teacher of the use of Orts.  Yeah, what?!
Orts are scraps-mainly a word to describe food scraps but she applies it to her piecing and said she would be glad to give me a crash course class!
I dutifully saved all the scraps and brought them this week to show her!
So, you sew the little pieces together and keep building your own spontaneous fabric.  I got more adventurous each block I made.
 Sew strips together or use little blocks as units...
 ...keep adding sections until you reach the dimensions you desire, in this case, 
I am making them into 5" blocks.
Yeah, it is another crazy way but you just have to make one more!

7 comments:

  1. I did that with Daddio once and it was fun. I can't wait to see how you quilt the crazy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the small quilt and the impromptu ort blocks. Those blocks look addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the great use of leftovers!!! amazing . Glad you learned something new. It is always good for my brain. I dont know how you all do such a precision work in sewing. I admire the geometry skills

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crazy good idea!! Looks like lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them!!!

    You know what they say. Waste not, want not!!! Such a great use for the bitty pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This reminds me of the string blocks we did together many moons ago -- just crazy instead of orderly! Fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

PLEASANT PUTTERINGS

I did sew the rows together and cut the borders so I could sew them.  I didn't make too many mistakes (the brain is still very slow! lol...