Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Scraps to Orts?

The little crazy patch quilt was finished during quilt group on Monday.
While sewing last week, the woman near me asked what I was doing with all those pieces I trimmed off from my paper piecing.  Toss them, of course!
She gasped and said she was a teacher of the use of Orts.  Yeah, what?!
Orts are scraps-mainly a word to describe food scraps but she applies it to her piecing and said she would be glad to give me a crash course class!
I dutifully saved all the scraps and brought them this week to show her!
So, you sew the little pieces together and keep building your own spontaneous fabric.  I got more adventurous each block I made.
 Sew strips together or use little blocks as units...
 ...keep adding sections until you reach the dimensions you desire, in this case, 
I am making them into 5" blocks.
Yeah, it is another crazy way but you just have to make one more!

7 comments:

  1. I did that with Daddio once and it was fun. I can't wait to see how you quilt the crazy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the small quilt and the impromptu ort blocks. Those blocks look addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the great use of leftovers!!! amazing . Glad you learned something new. It is always good for my brain. I dont know how you all do such a precision work in sewing. I admire the geometry skills

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crazy good idea!! Looks like lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them!!!

    You know what they say. Waste not, want not!!! Such a great use for the bitty pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This reminds me of the string blocks we did together many moons ago -- just crazy instead of orderly! Fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog!

A Birthday Outing!

   Yesterday we celebrated Matthew's birthday with a family outing to the beach! I knitted along on the messy bun hat  and am n...