Friday, March 28, 2008

Rag Quilt



Here is a fun project we have worked on this week; a Rag Quilt. My Mom received the Christmas flannels as a gift and wanted to put them to work in a quilt. The back is solid red and green in checkerboard layout. Since it is put together with the seam allowances exposed, it takes some getting used to sewing it up. Mom used free motion quilting in the center of each block and clipped all the seam allowances, then we tossed it in the washer and dryer-WOW! It is an easy process and I think the next attempt will be made of baby flannels!

This is a close-up of the blocks so you can see the fringed seams-wish you could feel how soft it is!

3 comments:

  1. Very cute!

    Are 'flannels' what I call face-washers? Here, in Oz, they're made of terry towelling but my UK-born nanna always called them 'flannels'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty -- can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynne, flannels here are the same weight and content of quilting fabric-100% cotton-just brushed to have a soft, fluffy surface. In this country about 60-70 yrs ago, they used this fabric for facecloths (we say washcloths) but now they are made of terrycloth-heavy as towels. Love your input , thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

ALMOST A TOP!

  I have all of the pieces blocks finished  and the borders are cut but nothing is sewn to its neighbor yet  but that is on the schedule for...