Monday, January 2, 2012

Mantel Masterpiece!

 I started in this morning setting the tile on the wall between the fire box and the mantel.  It was a little trickier to lay tile on the wall but I got the hang of it after an hour or so!  (No pun intended.)
 See the pretty design in the top tiles?  Tomorrow I will have to apply the grout between the tiles.  I am sure it will be a mess in the making..........  Bill started a fire tonight because we are under a frost warning!  We had to cover and move a ton of flowers to protect them.
 All my work tired Nyki out!  The fire sure is a feline magnet!
I did manage to get the neck warmer finished today..........it is now being blocked (overnight) and you will see a great improvement in the design and stitches when it is dry!  (Even though this is acrylic yarn, I learned from my blog friend, Lynne, that acrylic blocks very nicely also-thanks for the information!)

And because words hold a special place in my heart.......here is a little lesson on the spelling of the word
mantel        or       mantle        when referring to my fireplace!  But the word mantle also refers to the outer crust of the earth, part of a bird's anatomy, or layer of a mollusk to name a few.......see why words can be wonderful!    ( Further reading   mantel           or         mantle.   )

7 comments:

  1. The surround is beautiful, even before it gets grout! How exciting to see this long-held hope become reality!

    The neckwarmer is lovely -- I'm looking forward to seeing it blocked but I'm even more excited about wearing it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking good! grouting is the worst job with tiling I think. it adds the finish, but it's a hell of a mess. not so bad when you can splash around a lot, but with the timber floor and timber surround you probably have to be careful?
    love the neckwarmer looks, even though I very rarely wear them... good luck with the frost - or rather without it! we're back to mild, wet and windy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job with the tile - it looks straight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tiling is magnificent. It is all lined up sooooooo evenly. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful neck warmer!

    You're going to need that fireplace tonight! It's going to be39 degrees down here tonight, so you all will be way colder :o

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad I was able to help with your blocking! You did a great job with the tiling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fireplace looks fantastic!! You're amazing....all the things you can do.

    Love the neckwarmer. I might have to knit up something similar.....it's very cold here this weekend, and something like that would have helped me in church this morning. They just couldn't get the sanctuary warm.

    Thanks for the inspiration!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

WOOD WORKS

I cleaned the wood shop area;  the tools and the floor, etc so that I could begin work on that burl we acquired a few weeks ago!  It felt so...