Thursday, July 30, 2026

SHADES OF BROWN

It's been a long time since I have had a gopher tortoise in the yard!  His shell is about 11" long so you have an idea of his size which means he is a fully mature female (10-15 years old!) .
The latest skein of yarn off the spinning wheel is at 200 yards and is the closest to the olive color I was aiming to achieve!
And the latest vase off the lathe--it is made from a small chunk of Black Walnut. It is about 9" tall and 3" wide at the base.  I used beeswax for the finish and it feels delicious in your hands!  Since the temperatures are still around the 100+F mark, I am very grateful for the window A/C unit Bill installed right over where I work or I wouldn't be able to work in the garage at all!
 

8 comments:

  1. I'd love to see a turtle in our yard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking the other day that it's been a good while since I saw a turtle in the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've got a lot of turtles here but none quite as handsome as that one. What a lovely chunky lady!
    The vase is lovely. I had the one you gifted me out yesterday to put a broken marigold in. The darn vultures keep plucking off the blooms so I've decided to go with the flow and bring the broken ones in and sit them by the sink. The orange blossoms go very nicely with the wood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful woodgrain pattern on that vase! So glad you have a tortoise again…they’re such nice neighbors to have. -Marsel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how I love things made from wood!! Beautiful!! Those Gophers are destructive in yards/fields - but are also protected now! The yarn is lovely and looks super soft! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tortoise is beautiful. Obviously we don't have any around here but I always love to see them. The vase is so pretty. That pattern swirls so perfectly. I'm sure glad you have A/C in the garage. It's been so disgustingly hot and humid here for the past week I don't know how people survive without it.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has been a crazy summer weatherwise. At times it was hotter here than it was where you were. Last year we had hardly any rain. This year we have an overabundance.

    Looks like Miss Tortoise has a little break in her shell. :-(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

I AM HAVING FUN, REALLY!

I started this warp just before  I went into the hospital in 2024....not much has happened since .It takes a lot of patience and thought whi...