Saturday, July 16, 2011

Saturday's Slow Minutes

 I finished the child's washcloth and it was fun to knit but the pattern is really hard to see.
 Can you guess what this is....?  How about the three little pigs.  I won't be making any more.
 I did load up the corduroy quilt on the frame.  I have flannel for the backing and did end up using batting to layer it.  I like the weight of the full quilt and also the fact that the batting hides the seam allowances from showing too much when there is no batting.
 I am quilting it with a whimsical dragonfly panto.  The layers are not too thick for the topstitch needle but the thread is breaking because it will not feed off the spool right.  I have tried turning it over and putting a mesh netting on it but it is still being a stinker.
 On the spinning front, I spun up the Fiber Binder Club's selection for this month-Lincoln fiber in such a rich dark black!  I have never spun this kind before but it did remind me of Jacob fleece which I have spun.
 40 Yards of fingering weight yarn for this little skein.
 My info sheet for this month.......
And I used about half of the skein to knit up a swatch-I did this for each of the fibers I have spun so far; a really nice way to see how the yarn turns out.  I have made all the swatches on number 5 needles across 20 stitches so I can compare them.  I make a separate page for all the swatches.  This Binder is really shaping up for a great fiber reference!

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad someone else found that patterns knitted into stockinette dishcloths are hard to see! I knitted several for Older Grandson last year and am not doing anymore for Younger Grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you tried the washcloth pattern first; now I won't bother!

    I can imagine how wonderful that quilt would be to snuggle under on cold winter days...how nice.

    That fiber binder is very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the swatches and making them all on the same size needle is a great idea. And that looks like is spun up great, too. I hope I can get mine spun this weekend. Still torn between knitting a swatch or doing an itty-bitty woven one using a cardboard "loom."

    ReplyDelete
  4. the washcloths remind me of shadow knitting - sometimes you have to know what's the pattern to see it:)) never mind, I am sure the kids will have fun with them... is that lincoln fibre the natural colour or dyed? I love naturally dark fleeces, but haven't found true blacks so far in wool (only in alpaca) - the darkest I've spun was black welsh....
    and I found my "fibre book" again a few days ago - and spent a happy hour browsing again:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

FRIDAY FINISHES!

The 3-yard quilt top is all sewn together and ready for the quilting frame!  It was pretty easy to stitch it and even a bit boring to just k...