Monday, April 25, 2011

Wool Rematched

 I started right in on the newly dyed roving and got the yarn all done by afternoon's end.
 I wound it into a ball and did some knitting-I didn't have as far to go as I had thought but whether it was 2 inches or 2 miles-I was out of yarn!  I finished up the knitting and set it aside to spend time with my visiting sons!
 This morning I finished the crochet bind off, soaked the shawl and set it out to block.  Lace knitting looks awful until you block it out.
 See what I mean?!  It blocked out to 54" wide and 34" at center.  I even have enough yarn left for a pair of socks!  The color is a perfect match-the variations really work on this shawl-it is Haruni by KnitPicks.
 We have some new visitors since  we have been feeding the sandhill cranes out front.  The leftover crumbs have been picked up by this crow couple.  They call and ask for more and of course, we accomodate them!
 They do a better job of picking up every last crumb of bread or cereal than the cranes.  We used to put all our scraps out on a table behind our barn and feed our crow regulars when we lived in NY and are glad it is going to be a routine here, too.
 Speaking of the sandhill cranes, they are still visiting every day-the baby is measurably bigger every day and starting to get his/her pin feathers.
 He is so cute and not as tentative as he was his first week.
 He has learned to come running when we call, "Bread!" just like his parents!
Look at his drumsticks!  He is almost as tall as his mom but much scrawnier than they are.  (They stand about 4' tall)

5 comments:

  1. The shawl is gorgeous! The crocheted edging is a nice, dainty touch.

    I can't believe how much bigger the crane baby is already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I especially love the edging on that shawl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I am seriously impressed at how well you matched the dyeing of the wool with that already dyed. You'd never know that there are two dyelots in that shawl.

    Also, I thin the shawl is beautiful! So perfect for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the shawl you knit is beautiful!!!!! I love the happy colors.

    Do fee the cranes every day?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your shawl is gorgeous! I love the way the colors travel across it, and yet the lace design is not lost.

    I'm looking forward to seeing more of your strip pieced blocks and the tote you're planning to make from them, because I really love those blocks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

GLOWING WORK!

The two layer cake scrambled tops are finished!   The dimensions are 40 50".   I have the backing so they will be heading to the frame ...