Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Fiber-ing


  I haven't posted any pictures of the fiber I have spun from the Fiber Binder Club.  This is corriedale, spun fingering weight, 45 yards.
 This is linen-I really liked this and didn't think I was going to!  I even ordered additional fiber to spin some more!  28yards of fingering weight yarn.
 Last month, I had another new-to-me fiber, Border Leicester, which was a total surprise; it is very close to mohair in feel and spin!  The yarn is so pretty and lustrous!  23yards of sport weight yarn.
 I was recently gifted this huacaya alpaca, raw and unwashed but 4-5 poiunds of it! 
The fleece has some colored places in it, and a few guard hairs that will pick right out.
I carded it without washing it, I find that alpaca washes better after spinning!   
And it spins up so fine!  I will be working away at this for some time.  I think the yarn will end up on my loom for a shawl.
 I spun this Peruvian wool from KnitPicks while at the St Augustine event a few weeks ago.  450 yards of fingering weight yarn.
 I admired this wool a woman at that event was spinning.  She was asked several times if it was skunk wool and she would tell them yes!  It was such fun to see the expressions on their faces.  She gave me this sample to have fun with it, too!
 I spun up the sample right off the roving without drafting.
I ended up with a cute little skein of 24 yards of fingering weight yarn.  (She ordered this from Carol Lee of The Sheep Shed Studio)

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a lot of very fascinating fiber! Is the Border Leicester much different than the BFL that you have done?

    Your grand-cats would love to "help" you with that alpaca fleece... :)

    Love the black and white, very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you have been busy, busy with the fiber! It all looks lovely. Can't wait to see what you make with the alpaca!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sample spinnning - the downside is that I end up with lots of different small skeins that usually end up in a box for ages, because there's never enough for a project:(( maybe the lady should have told people, that no, it's not skunk hair, it's badger hair?:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you've been having lots of fibre-y fun.

    Skunk! Really? Is it soft? I imagine them to have "hard" hair coats (like kangaroos and koalas).

    DD and I are attempting to get a handle on a Russian support spindle using 100% merino!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! That does look like skink fiber, but it spun up so prettily! I'm glad it's not skunk, though. Pee-U! ;)

    You've been having lots of fun in short spurts lately. Good to see the FBC samples all done up.

    I'm spinning alpaca right now and I agree, it spins up into very fine yarn. With that much, do you have any ideas what you are going to do with it?

    My Word Verification word is "guerb." I think that is the sound I made with the gas prices jumped 30 cents to $3.83 this week. OUCH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you for keeping up with the fiber binder club! I would be so bad at that!!!

    Your lovely yarns tempt me (again) to become a spinner. However, knowing my attention span that probably isn't the best idea!!!

    Really interesting to see the transition in the alpaca from fleece to yarn. I have a sweater knit from something like that. The length of time it must have taken to make totally boggles my mind. (Obviously I purchased it!)

    Spin on!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

A LITTLE OF THIS AND THAT

I finished the mug rugs;  6 of them in fact!  They are 5 x 5".  I am not a coffee or tea drinker but I do like hot chocolate~ I made an...