Saturday, November 20, 2010

What a Day!

I met a new spinning friend this week and we had an adventure today! We took our spinning wheels and some wool and went to the PowWow at the Pioneer Settlement in Barberville. What a lovely time we had! We got to demonstrate spinning to visitors and even helped two novice spinners join the ranks of yarn makers!. It was a lovely way to get to know each other!  While I didn't get any pics of us spinning, I did get some of the Native Americans,  the Timucua .
 Beautiful costumes....
........ men and women were there for the PowWow.
 There were many items for sale related to their culture.  The animal skins were beautiful but we didn't see any fiber to spin!
 Later in the day, I saw this Rain Tree and just wanted to add it to the post; isn't it a beautiful tree!?
I spun up another skein of Gator colored yarn-it was fun to hear comments on team, of better color choices or cheers for my selection! 
I was introduced to some brown cotton, seeds, fiber and a cotton boll.  I have one final hope to learn to love spinning this fiber!
One sock done and the other loaded on the needles!  What a great day!

2 comments:

  1. What a great adventure! Those animal skins are beautiful, what a feast of texture and color.

    Happy for you to have fulfilled your longtime goal of fiber-demo-ing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I wish I could have been there!

    So that's a rain tree...my husband and I saw a bunch of them in Deland and were wondering what they are. They're so pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

FRIDAY FINISHES!

The 3-yard quilt top is all sewn together and ready for the quilting frame!  It was pretty easy to stitch it and even a bit boring to just k...