Monday, November 18, 2013

Purple Cow Summation

I didn't remember to take a single picture-this is two years running that I completely forget to use the camera even though I had it with me!  The day was a bit overcast and it did drizzle later in the day but it was still a busy day and wonderful to meet and talk with friends old and new!

This is the skein of superwash wool I was spinning off and on all day!  I ended up with 313 yards of fingering weight yarn which  will be a cowl.

I learned several things that I need to remember to prepare for sale next year-I had several requests for babies' wear (hats and sweaters mostly )and for men's sizes-both hats and fingerless mitts-I had zero of both of those items available!  Another surprise was that I sold none of the sea glass but I think that is because they were only charms and not finished jewelry-people wanted to buy finished not another project-good to know for next year.  I did sell a lot of my soap so that was very good news.  People did buy some of every scent and even the unscented so I was pleased to have a good selection in that arena.  The socks I had for sale were admired but no one even came close to buying them-I did sell one of my shawls and both pairs of woolen fingerless mitts with requests for more.  I have a much better idea of what to make , knit or create for next year's sale.  I will probably set up a booth in our local market when that starts this winter (January-March).  I did make enough money to keep me fluid in my yarn and soap making supplies!  Phew!


3 comments:

  1. If you are breaking even, then you are doing better than most artisans. Good on you!

    People have no idea how long it takes to knit socks. You will not get paid for your time. Make cowls with luxury fibers. People are willing to pay more for silk and cashmere, and you can knit them up on bigger needles so it goes faster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty cool. Does anyone sell original art at this event?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it was a great experience for fellowship and learning.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

A LITTLE OF THIS AND THAT

I finished the mug rugs;  6 of them in fact!  They are 5 x 5".  I am not a coffee or tea drinker but I do like hot chocolate~ I made an...