Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Tying Up Loose Ends

 I spun up some linen on one wheel and hemp on the other to compare the two fibers.
 I found very little difference in the spinning, both were done on the 11:1 ratio whorl and were then plied on the same whorl pretty tightly.  I wanted a fine yarn for knitting and both skeins look very similar.  The hemp does feel more plant like-almost a twine feel.
 The linen is definitely softer by a bit but both will soften when used and rewashed repeatedly.
They both measure out to 24 epi -almost a lace weight yarn.  I loved spinning them both!
 Here is a new guy on the block-he is very thin but so friendly and wants to get along with all the other household guests.  He is a neutered male-very tall and if the size of his head is any indication, he can be a very big guy once he puts some weight back on.  We will be putting up posters to find his family but the area is notorious for leaving pets behind when they move out of the rentals up and down our street.  Sad but true.
 He is very interested in the kitchen at the moment, then asks to go out- until you get up and open the door and he then he changes his mind.  He just wants to know that he can go  out, I think!
I am working away on the second flamingo sock-it got sidetracked for a bit but we are back on track.  It is what I am taking to the surgery center tomorrow while I wait for Bill's surgery to be done!

4 comments:

  1. Wishing Bill all the best for his surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always been partial to gray cats! We can't wait to meet this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you have a sign out front--Cats welcome here?? Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor fellow. He really needs fattening up.

    I wish Bill the best for his surgery and that his recovery is fast.

    Very interesting about the two types of fiber. I'll be interested in seeing how the knit up and how much they soften with washing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

A LITTLE OF THIS AND THAT

I finished the mug rugs;  6 of them in fact!  They are 5 x 5".  I am not a coffee or tea drinker but I do like hot chocolate~ I made an...