Wednesday, September 16, 2026

WOOD ON WEDNESDAY

A few months ago, a friend gave me a 6' piece of her avocado tree that had died in our freeze last winter.  I cut off a 12" piece to turn her a memento vase.  The wood is full of holes from tree larva which give it the character I enjoy in a piece of wood!  And might I mention, not all of the 'worms' were dead!  Well, they are now! I just need to cut it off the lathe, sand and sign it but my work was interrupted by a phone call from said friend
 inviting me to go on an adventure! 
An older mutual friend is selling her house and needed to clean out her sewing room!  We bought a lot of fabric at prices that we couldn't resist and at the same time, we helped her out! 
I managed to find quite a lot of coordinating fabrics which I will sure enjoy working with in the future months!  

6 comments:

  1. Oh dear about the worms!! But how nice to make a vase for your friend. I was just thinking the other day that I need to downsize my fabric stash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shopping in friends stashes is always fun!
    That is some very neat wood - I always love seeing your creations

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my --- a treasure hunt in a sewing room? Divine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your wood working is totally fascinating to me. That is beautiful, and yes it has lots of character. I suspect you had lots of fun shopping your friend's outgoing stash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. On Arne and Carlos' podcast a few weeks ago Arne was showing off the fancy yarn bobbins he had made on his lathe many years ago. He was talking about getting it out and and seeing if it would still run. That avocado wood does have a lot of character and a very unusual color. I don't think I've ever seen an avocado tree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The vase looks like it will be beautiful and what a nice gift!! Great finds from the friend who is moving! Score!! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

PLEASANT PURSUITS!

Two quilts are off the frame and now need binding. The next top is  loaded and quilting has begun. I made quite a few more of the string blo...