Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Spindle!

I ordered a new handcrafted spindle (steve kundert) and I think you will agree with me that it is a thing of beauty. (This is the 30-9 model; made of maple and cherry wood.)

Most spinners start on a spindle and graduate to a wheel. I thought that the spindle was way too slow when I started spinning 25+ years ago and so I am just getting back to trying one now. The beauty of the wood was a big draw to me and I think making my own might just be in my future, too. I drumcarded this merino/finn/mohair fiber in anticipation of the spindle's arrival. I took to the spindling as if I have been doing it forever. It is still way too slow compared to what you can produce on a wheel in the same amount of time but that isn't the point of handspinning fiber. It is a very relaxing experience and I think this is just the beginning of a wonderful collection of spindles!

3 comments:

  1. I don't have a huge desire to use them, but I would love a collection of them just to look at and touch!!! It's SO pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I desperately wanted to try a spindle and finally I did - I had to stand up!! ;-(

    I don't want to stand to spin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, Cindy! I am IN LOVE with his spindles! I want one of each (ha!), but I'm really attracted by the cedar ones. Oh...glorious! Now I gotta get me one, durn it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

GLOWING WORK!

The two layer cake scrambled tops are finished!   The dimensions are 40 50".   I have the backing so they will be heading to the frame ...