Friday, October 15, 2010

As Eclectic as Always

I dyed the sample skein of the mystery wool and tried to make it the same color blue which I accomplished but the skein might not have enough black added.   
I can always make it darker but if it is too dark, I will be kind of stuck.The blues blend perfectly but I am not sure about the dark factor.  I am going to look at it and think about it for a few days.
                            
I cut the golden weaving off the loom.  This is the pile of warp waste is known as thrums.  I threw them away this time but in the Spring will save them for the birds to use as nesting material.
I laid the clotht outside to see the color variations caused by the manipulation of the handpainted warp that I used.  This was inspired from a recent issue of HandWoven magazine.  Plain weave 8/2 pearl cotton weft in gold and Araucania cotton yarn for the warp.  I think Nyki approves!
Here it is after I tossed it into the washer and dryer.  It shrank very little but the weave did tighten up.  It feels very smooth.  I think it is going to become a backpack next week!
I made two loaves of Friendship Bread-also known as 10-Day Amish Bread. This time I added a can of pineapple and walnuts.  All I can say is wow!  If you want the recipe, just ask for it in the comments and I will be glad to send you a pdf.  I used to make this a long time ago and Caleb asked for some recently so I got the recipe from my Mom and have been fermenting several different batches on the counter many weeks now.  This combination is the all time best!
 On the knitting front, I finished David's vest using the fingering weight yarn from KnitPick's Palette line of yarn.  I am thinking of adding a stripe at the front of the chest.  I had planned on doing that and forgot to during the knitting.  I would use duplicate stitch to add it now.  Another decision I will defer....

3 comments:

  1. The golden weaving came out lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. not only Nyki, the fabric is beautiful (too lovely for use as a backpack - to me at least:)). I think our friendship bread is called "Hermann" - and our favourite was brown sugar, cinnamon and butter, put in swirls into the dough... good idea, I could set up a new batch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You have been busy, again.

    I would LOVE the recipe for the bread!

    With the dyed yarn, what if you alternated the yarns, one for two rows, then the other for two rows. That way they would work together especially since they have the same blue in them.

    The woven fabric you made it wonderful, and I love the fact that you, too, seem to have no problem cutting your handwoven fabric and making something useful out of it. I can hardly wait to see it done.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

A LITTLE OF THIS AND THAT

I finished the mug rugs;  6 of them in fact!  They are 5 x 5".  I am not a coffee or tea drinker but I do like hot chocolate~ I made an...