don't yo ulove it when you find something you have been searching for .....in this case, a fleece from a Gulf Coast Native Sheep. This breed was brought to Florida by the Spanish in the 1500's and it flourished despite the heat, humidity and insects. A hardy breed! (I ordered it from Shirley, at Westwinds Farm on Etsy, a farm in Michigan)
The box arrived quickly and inside was this fleece in a nylon laundry bag. I like the extra touch!
I will enjoy every step of this process-the skirting has already been done so there is no waste on my part! (and no waste in the fleece-literally!)
The fleece is from a lamb, Rudy, from his first cutting so the fiber will be soft and next-to-the-skin wearable.
I can't wait to get my hands on this fiber for carding and spinning. (I will be dyeing it after spinning-maybe.)
Well, as soon as I can get it away from Sketch, who is just as thrilled about its arrival as I am!
I didn't show her the bag opens up to this! (About 3 1/2-4" locks) And it smells wonderful!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
STRAIGHT ON FROM HERE
Completed quilt, 57" x 68" I did stitched a few of these blocks together; the one on the right, I did first and didn't do too...
-
The blocks from the Disappearing Nine Patch variation now are a top! This was a very enjoyable scrappy project and I will enjoy making ano...
-
Turning a panel into a quilt! Two rows on the top and then borders will be added. I also started on my string block stars! I had so much ...
-
All of the labor is done and the fun has begun! The pattern is called Point Threading over 12 threads. On the far right is just Tabby wea...
Ha! I was just having a discussion with Jerry about FL sheep. He was saying there can't be sheep in FL and I told him there is a breed that was brought over by the Spanish. I win! BTW... I'm over in Crescent for the next week and a half so give me a call when you want to knit. I am going to Jax today (Thur.) and Sunday but any other day is great :)
ReplyDeleteI love seeing Sketch front-and-center for a change...pretty kitty. The wool must be incredibly alluring to her!
ReplyDeleteYou're going to love it. I am still spinning mine and can't wait to finish so I can start knitting it. I don't think mine is as good a quality as yours but it's still lovely. I didn't have much luck with it taking dye well but I really have no idea what I'm doing. I'm sure you have it all figured out!
ReplyDeleteSketch knows a good thing when she smells it!
ReplyDeleteThe Australian Merino sheep was also bred from Spanish sheep -- obviously a very hardy breed!
ReplyDelete