Wednesday, August 5, 2026

WOOD ON WEDNESDAY----FULL CIRCLE!

My niece had given me several pieces of Birch from her yard when I was in NY back in April but since they were a bit too heavy and numerous to put in my suitcase for my flight home, my brother brought them to me after his visit to NY since he drives!  So anyway, I finally got the wood and put it right on the lathe to make something for my niece to say thank you for the wood!  
I made a vase that is emerging from the log;  I was able to save the bark and put on a finish to preserve it.  This vase stands about 11" tall.
The other side stands a bit off-center which is just what I tried to make happen and this time, I was successful!  I can't wait to give it to my niece!  She is a DIY kinda gal like me
 and loves all things wood, too.
It's fun to think the wood has traveled the whole east coast and it is now back to its 'birth' place!
It was so nice to spot a butterfly that I see 1100 miles south of here, too!  The Eastern Tiger Swallowtail spent many long minutes among the lovely smelling phlox!
These are the 8' tall Heliopsis my Dad planted so many years ago and the patch that I took my root from to plant in my yard!  
The rain storm over the weekend knocked down some of the outer stalks so I snapped of
 the ends to bring inside for a bouquet to enjoy!  

While it was nice to be able to walk outside and sit on the patio for a while, it was also nice to come back inside to A/C and crochet/knit in comfort!
 

5 comments:

  1. That's a gorgeous vase!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The vase is beautiful as are the flowers. Your dad must have a green thumb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your woodworking is something to behold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That vase is so pretty! Your niece will LOVE it!! You are so wonderfully creative!! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

A SPECIAL BABY SWEATER

I thought I would take a page from my Mother's book and knit a few baby sets for my first great-grandchild which isn't a reality but...