I started this warp just before I went into the hospital in 2024....not much has happened since .It takes a lot of patience and thought while sitting hunched over the loom trying to feed those threads ONE AT A TIME into all of the appropriate slots and eyes.! I do not enjoy doing all of this on the best of days but I do love to weave and there is only one way to get there!
I have all of the warp threads separated and spaced out and wound on the back beam.
I have the front ends under tension so they will not do their own thing--I am trying to stay in control of all 264 threads! I have dressed the loom front to back and back to front and found they are both equally miserable so I do it this way just because it is the way I have the most light.
Here are 36 threads that have been fed through the appropriate eyes of the heddles so they will make the pattern I have chosen (1-2-3-4-1-2-3-2-1-4-3-2) for each of the 12 threads to the inch for this kitchen towel. I took me almost an hour to do this much because, of course, I made a mistake but with this method, I only have to check, recheck and check again the twelve threads until I move on to the next twelve! At this rate, I only have 6 more hours of threading until I get to weave!!!! It reminds me of the little boy who told me at a spinning demonstration,
"Hey, lady. Walmart sells yarn, you know!"
I am determined to embrace the process!
Weaving seems like magic to me....
ReplyDeleteIt is all about the process...and checking and re-checking and then checking again. I've been stalled almost as long as you have but for different reasons. I've actually been weaving for the past few days and it feels so good to get that part of the process and have it working out.
ReplyDeleteI don't think I could actually weave, but the zig zag in the first photo would be a wondrous work of art in a corner.
ReplyDeleteBless you!! Keep us posted!! xo
ReplyDeletePreparing the loom and getting all the warp threads properly tensioned is an incredible amount of work... I’m keeping my fingers crossed and am so impressed that you can do it.
ReplyDeleteI love weaving and once took a weaving course myself, so at least I know what’s involved :-)))
Good luck. I look forward to the stage where you get to work on the weft threads.
Wishing you lots of joy—warm regards.
Thanks for the photos... they’re fantastic.
oof, that looks confusing, but I'd love to try... one day... you can do it, I have full confidence in you! And I have to laugh about the little boy - yes you can buy it but it would be so satisfying to be able to spin it yourself... one day... one day...! xx
ReplyDelete