Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Foundation

[Today, I have put the house pics first and my craft projects last-
FF as necessary!]

After the men left yesterday, Bill had some homework. He had to remove all the green growth off the areas they had outlined. This meant skimming the top 3-4" of soil and plant off and he has an excellent eye for this kind of work-he made it look easy but it was several hours work!
(See Tom in the picture, he is following me and smelling around there because he is too timid to be out among the men-they are too noisy and move too fast!)

He got a good report form the contractor this morning for all the work he had accomplished! Good job , Bill! He also had to move the line where the electrical was brought up to the house because the place where he had estimated where it would come into the house was actually right in the middle of the future sliding glass door! Another couple of hours work and he had it dug up and moved and refilled---it was too dark for pictures! The men came here today to hand dig all the footer trenches. It was in the high 90's and very humid; they put in a hard day today. This is the garage side of the work.
This is the living quarters addition on the south end of the house.

This is how they cut the reinforcing rods....it is very loud and there were lots of sparks that didn't show up in the pictures.

Here is Bill's homework this time......he has time to finish it first thing tomorrow morning because we went to be refreshed at church tonight! It is the water lines he thought were buried deep enough to be under the footers......they aren't! He has to dig them out and some elbows and bury them 6" deeper! He doesn't ever have to worry about being bored!
They left their trailer out front with a load of boards for the forms...first they must wait for the inspection tomorrow and then they can put up the forms and begin pouring cement on Fridayis their plan. The bonus find of the day; a complete and unbroken ceramic jug (12") that is iron stained but nontheless in excellent condition. The guys doing the digging found it and very carefully extracted it and then presented it to Bill-they were pretty excited to give it to him-and he was thrilled to think it survived the digging!

On a crafting note, I am making progress on the Ravelry Olympics top...how are you doing , Jessica?!
Bling is recovering well and is doing much better than I expected. He has had a few incidents that will require a learning curve; he almost fell off the chair, reached out his nails to grab so he wouldn't fall and it didn't help...........it was kind of sad-I ran to catch him and he didn't fall but he did have a puzzled look on his face! He also tried to swat at some fabric while I was sewing and he couldn't steal it from me like he usually manages....he will catch on to his new paws soon.

I am hand sewing the binding on another quilt......thanks to my Mom for sending me some little stick on vinyl pieces that replace thimbles...they work great!

I have pieced the blocks for Caleb's quilt and tomorrow will sew the blocks together.
Lastly, I over-dyed this tone-on-tone white fabric as an experiment. In my dyeing group they said it was giving some interesting results so I wanted to try it myself-they were right! I think this will be a cut little a-line dress for my grand daughter....shhhh! Don't tell her, it will be a surprise!

3 comments:

  1. Poor Bling - he must be very confused!

    Good on Bill - what a worker!

    And you are the epitome of the Proverbs 31 woman - can you ever sit still?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow -- it's too hard to comment -- you have too many exciting things happening!!!

    What a great update, thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I am surprised about the work at your house. I can't wait to see the new part and I'm just amazed!"

    Love, David

    (as dictated to Mommy)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

POST SURGERY TIME

I was able to get a ton of knitting time in  while in the Surgery Center with Bill yesterday!   He did well but it is harder to have surgery...