Thursday, December 17, 2009

Colors of December

Blogging friend of Life Looms Large, Sue, has asked for participation in her colors of the month photo shooting.

Here are the colors in my yard this week....

Well, this is on my front porch!  (This is the faithful Christmas cactus that has been blooming for 18 years at least....thank you brother-in-law, Duke!)

Camellias are in bloom........,

the earliest one, 

and the largest one.

.....the aloe is in bloom, too.

While the leaf fades and goes dormant, the flowers all bloom on this bride's veil plant.

The East Palatka Holly is in full berry, this is a great gift to the birds in our region.

And just in time for Christmas, a poinsettia from last year!

Our maples are losing their leaves, and the tall grasses are at the end of their cycle but around here, the maples will get new leaves next month and the grasses will sprout soon after.

On the path at the foot of the maple tree, is this colorful toadstool.

And while this isn't in my backyard, it is the beach in December!

8 comments:

  1. I've never actually seen a Christmas Cactus in bloom.

    Your yard is lovely and full of gifts as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloe blooms? I didn't know that.

    So can you plant out your poinsetta all year round?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay - the links worked for you!! Good job!!

    Great colors...so nice to see tropical plants in bloom right now. The camellias are beautiful.

    Thanks for sharing your much warmer view of winter!!! (Today it's 8 degrees here with windchill below 0. Brrrrr!)

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow--and all right in your backyard. What a blessing. Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  5. All so pretty! Your colors are so much more vibrant at this time of year even than ours are here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such fun little pops of hot pink here, there and everywhere:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL..your flowers match my washer/dryer..LOL..
    Nice to see some flowers with all our snow here. Cold morning..ugh!! Enjoy our warm sunny south.

    Judi B.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi. I'm visiting all of the "Colors of December" challenge participants, though I've seen your comments at many of the blogs I visit.

    Like you, I discovered a lot of red and green for my December colors photos, but not such a pretty dark almost-pink. I love camellias (need to plant a few) and your Christmas Cactus is a real treat.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

A LITTLE OF THIS AND THAT

I finished the mug rugs;  6 of them in fact!  They are 5 x 5".  I am not a coffee or tea drinker but I do like hot chocolate~ I made an...