Friday, August 3, 2018

Small Things

 
 Half of the little stars are finished; catching up on the larger border for these two stars next.
 I matched all the pieces together and set them in here so they stay matched!
(little hands and furry paws both like to rearrange things I leave out!)
 Now each layer is within reach and ready to sew together in about 20 mins total.
And I am doing something unusual for me-
I am saving each of the 'cut off layers' of the flying geese segments 
and sewing them into little HST's;
since there are 8 matching pairs of triangles I could toss from each of the larger border stars,
I decided they are large enough to save for a little pinwheel quilt!
After all twelve blocks are completed, that yields 96  2 1/4" HST's
resulting in 24 pinwheel blocks each measuring 3 1/2" .
This is as close as you can drive the golf cart to our pond.
The pond has overflowed its banks completely, 
flooding the whole low-lying back acreage.
Many of the trees and bushes are turning yellow and dying.
 Our neighbor's back acreage adjacent to our pond lawn looks like Fall has come early.
The Maples are responding to the stress by turning color before they drop their leaves.  
A beautiful photo of death really.
As I turned to walk away, I saw this blue dragonfly right in front of me
resting in the viness!
 When I tried to get a close up, I caught him in flight instead! 
 And back home as I parked the cart, I spotted this large tiger swallowtail 
but he was determined not to let me photograph him straight on! 
 We are now entering our season of the butterfly;
August is the month we see our greatest number and you will be seeing more of these photos!

11 comments:

  1. I have such mixed feelings about the landscape changes happening in your backyard! Still so many beautiful things to see...just different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our trees are dropping their leaves-and big branches all over the place. They are saturated. What a mess it is out there. It's rained every day for weeks. I haven't been out of the house in ages. It's like a steam bath out there. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rather like saving scrape yarn for scrappy socks, mitered-square blankets or something new from them. I like!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are very productive - as usual:)
    and I think the death of some plants/habitats means opening for others... not always what we want but even the unexpected can be very beautiful? it's like "weeds" - we might not have planted them or want them, but if you look closer you can still see more than just "being something unwanted"! the ragweed here is hated by farmers - but it's the food plant of a very beautiful butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to figure out how to store projects better. I end up stuffing them in drawers and containers without being very neat about it. Love the fabrics together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are the rare person who is incredibly creative yet incredibly organized! Very envious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a lovely block!

    I haven't seen any dragonflies this year (I usually see one or two even though we're not really close to water). Butterflies have been plentiful but getting them on film is a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another busy week for you I see. Glad you are making progress on your projects even with the little's around. Have a wonderful weekend, hope it is dry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think August is our biggest month for butterflies too Or so it seems. Im seeing those pretty black and blue ones again. I bet your mosquitoes are really out there with all that standing water. Stay covered

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's fun to turn "waste" triangles into pinwheels, star points, and other fun blocks. Those little hands and furry paws just want to "help" with your projects. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  11. We've been having some crazy amounts of rain also. The lavender does not like it at all and it, too, has turned yellow on the mature leaves.

    Vera and I noticed that some of the maples here are already turning red.

    Love your stars .... your edges are so CRISP!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

GLOWING WORK!

The two layer cake scrambled tops are finished!   The dimensions are 40 50".   I have the backing so they will be heading to the frame ...