Wednesday, May 3, 2023

WOOD ON WEDNESDAY

This is a very large bowl--the piece of wood was so heavy, Bill had to carry it and put it on the lathe for me!  The wood is very complex but it is very hard and so it means a LOT of sharpening of the tools very often!  The wood did have a very large void that went deeply into the bowl so it would be a problem when I had to hollow out the inside.
So I mixed up some Terra Cotta colored two-part putty and filled the cracks and holes so that I can sand the outside, put on some finish and then turn the bowl about to hollow out the inside! 
 It feels good to be standing at the lathe again!  
 

7 comments:

  1. It will be interesting to see the color of the putty once it's polished, like Kintsugi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious to see how it looks with the putty once finished. Should be a very nice bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a monster! I can't wait to see how it turns out. I've been watching a lot of lathe videos and it's like magic when they are done and slap on the oil. It's a very rewarding craft-like making soap. You have to love those unexpected finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness that's a big bowl! Is the putty thing something that lots of wood turners do or did you come up with it on your own? It will be interesting to see what it does when finished.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another beautiful bowl in the rough! Anxiously awaiting its progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like a great piece of wood, with some interesting color changes. Looking forward to seeing your project continue. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

PLAYING WITH BLOCKS!

Both tops for the QuiltsforKids are finished now!  A good, fun mix.  I will load them right up to quilt them and get them sent back to be gi...