Tuesday, April 2, 2024

LET THE WEAVE ALONG BEGIN!

I was so excited to begin winding the warp ! 
 I had 16 threads of each color repeated for 13 times for 13".
I had two chains of warp when I finished!  
I spread them out on the back bar, spread the threads in the raddle, 16 threads per inch of each color and began winding them onto the back beam.  The weights help keep the threads under tension so things don't get tangled!
This is how it looks from the back--see how the raddle
 keeps the threads in their 'row'?!
The next step for today will be to thread these strands into the appropriate heddle to give me the right pattern, which is undulating twill!  I have watched several YouTube videos to find a better technique for this step and am anxious to try out some new ideas for making this step more accurate and comfortable for me!
I also had to wind the bobbins with thread for the actual weaving--how's this for home grown DIY ingenuity?! 
It's not my idea so I can brag about it! lol
All ready to weave but there are heddles to fill 
and a reed to thread 
and tying onto the front beam first!
I don't want to get ahead of myself; 
 ''savor each step", I keep telling myself! 
All of these steps are called dressing the loom.
 

4 comments:

  1. Seems like an awful lot to do before. you get to the weaving part! Savoring the process is key, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to use the drill too! I also used to use weights but now I just use The Mister...lol. He knows when I am winding on it's all hands on deck. He's gotten very good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't understand hardly a word that I read, but it looks fascinating and I'm going to enjoy watching you this month. The colors are beautiful.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be so fun to follow !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

EPIDENDRUM

The view outside my studio patio doors--the very large area of epidendrum! In common flower vernacular, it is a ground orchid.   The slighte...