Saturday, February 9, 2019

The Goldilocks Hat!

 This is a hat to fit BoyWonder with the initials for his school in his school colors.
 I had an idea and so I charted out the letters and sat down to the knitting machine to start,
it struck me that since I would be knitting from the wrong side--my chart was backwards!
 A quick re-write and then I started in--this is a technique that is completely hand manipulated
on the knitting machine-I knit the row in burgundy with the needles for the letters pulled out  of work and then I knit each one with the gold.  Each row of the chart is worked this way.  It gains its own rhythm and I enjoyed doing the work.
 Then I zipped up the last of the straight knitting and seamed it up and--
wowza!  I had a hat fit for Shaquille O'Neal!
 Back to the drawing board!
 And with the reduced letter size and therefore, smaller chart over fewer stitches,
I made the second one in record time.
 Off the machine and ready for seaming--I know what I am doing with the seaming now
and in no time, I have a very nicely seamed hat!
 I am pleased with the letter size but wonder if I can do it one more time with even smaller initials!
I like the gold rim on the inside!

And I need to add the pom pom;  I think it will be in both gold and burgundy!

To be continued....

10 comments:

  1. That is just so amazing that you can do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. perfect gryffindor colours for hp fans:) and you can always keep the hat - he'll grow into it eventually? or keep it as a gift for one of the teachers?
    and once you have the right size/chart combo, you can change the wording and make hats for all the family (with their names?)
    happy knitting:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you've got that knitting machine action down! I noticed the gryfindor colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think Shaq attends that school, but who knows, maybe he would like a hat? Cute finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am proud of you for knowing that Shaq would wear a giant-sized hat! Lol! Fun project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! I bet one of the teachers would love the large hat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on the hat, so much to figure out but you did it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

PLANS AND REVISIONS

I knit the sleeve (top up) and realized that I would prefer the sleeve line up with the same color of the body. See how the shading of the  ...