Friday, May 17, 2019

Live and Learn

 Lena is not always silly-at least I am not good at capturing the moment-usually!
She stayed in here for a long time.
 Here is the new bit of horticulture education for myself--Bill was given this long stick--on the left.
I watered it all winter and a bit of green did start showing up on the tips.
I thought he had given me a bum job but soon we could see that on the top 
there was definitely a cluster of flower buds.
This afternoon, one of the buds opened into this beautiful flower-
AND the aroma is beyond description! 
 Dare I say, it smells better than a rose to me!
A quick search on  Google and I learned that it is a Plumeria or Frangipani;  
the one and only essential oil I have worn as a perfume since I was 18!
How exciting to meet the real flower! 
 And not to minimize the flower on the right, the Canna Lily--
lacking in aroma but very showy in its red flowers that just keep on coming!  
 I found a few minutes yesterday to cut out the pieces for this wall hanging 
and  actually sewed two strips today.
And look who was tired out after all of that sewing!

8 comments:

  1. that's how it is supposed to flower? I received some rootlets last year, but they only made a few leaves, nothing more... might never come to a flower, because I think it's not warm enough here? like you I know the scent, but hadn't seen it in bloom before... and our cat has to inspect every single box, test it for sitting, fooling about with the bigger ones and hiding in it to scare a passing dog, of course:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That plumeria is beautiful. And Little Lena --- could she BE any cuter???

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a showstopping flower!

    My Mom just gave me a bunch of Cana lily bulbs. I'm debating on planting them in the garden or in a large pot. WE have to lift the bulbs in fall here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful flower. Well, both of them are, but the plumeria is gorgeous. Our Frannie loves boxes. She finds any nook and cranny to hide in and pop out at you.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Plumeria smells divine! It's one of the reasons I love Hawaii so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cutie! I just had that flower as a word on a puzzle today! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lena is a cutie! The flowers are gorgeous. So glad you didn’t pitch the “potted stick” when it looked ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

WOOD WORKS

I cleaned the wood shop area;  the tools and the floor, etc so that I could begin work on that burl we acquired a few weeks ago!  It felt so...