Saturday, July 6, 2019

Practice Block--Christmas in July AND Tour de Fleece

I am going to be joining Sarah of Confessions of a Fabric Addict
 in working out the bugs for a QuiltALong starting in the middle of the month.
I have enough of these scraps to make a few blocks for practice;
the REAL quilt I want to make with this layout will be in Christmas prints.
It's fun to be able to join in this year!
  Take a look at her blog, if you are interested in joining in, too!
Today is also the start of the Tour de Fleece--the spinner's version of the Tour de France!
I am spinning up a pound of Masham wool which I dyed
earlier this week.
Since we had afternoon rains like we are supposed to have in the summer months,
I was unable to dry the wool roving outside like I usually do!
I hung it on the rail of my quilting frame!
I split the dried roving in half  and I am proud to mention that each ball weighs exactly 8 oz!
I will split each half again so it is easier to spin
and to fit on the bobbin.
Let the fun begin!
I'll report on my progress every few days--
I try to keep up on the miles by spinning that many yards;
I keep a running count of total miles and every few days,
when I have spun the two plies and
spun them together I will skein it up and check the mileage.

6 comments:

  1. To this non-quilter, that looks like a pretty complicated block. It's beautiful and going to be even more beautiful in Christmas colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty block! It will look great in Christmas prints. Have fun spinning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty block and pretty fiber!!!! Vive Le Tour!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy spinning! You are amazing in all the crafts you do! That block will make a beautiful quilt. Happy stitching, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is your kitty used as a paper weight too? Love the roving, can't wait to see the yarn!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

FLOWERS ON FRIDAY

But first-yesterday's Shop Hop went well-we discovered a very nice new shop in St Augustine;  always a good find!   What I bought this t...