Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Avocado Anyone?!

This is a Florida avocado;  it has a smooth, thin skin and is much larger than the 
California avocado most people buy.  
We love to eat these in slices in salads, of course, 
but also as is in a snack! 
What else looks very much like the color of the avocado fruit?  My wool!
When I carded it up-by random handfuls;  I didn't feel like separating it or sorting it not even a little!
I grabbed handfuls and teased them open (dyeing condenses the fibers)
 and ran them through the carder. 
 I was pleased the color didn't look like brown mud which I was afraid it would.
And spinning it up-which is lovely doing the supported long draw in a woolen preparation this time instead of the short forward worsted spinning I did for the Masham wool for the last pound of wool!
This will be a much lighter and bouncier skein of yarn! 
 So far, so good!
From the agony of defeat to the thrill of victory--
nothing like a good spin!
Oh, and for some outdoor entertainment-pulling my husband out of a ditch!
He decided to do a bit of mowing with the tractor-one handed, says he!
And look where it got him!
He hooks up the chain and I roll down the truck window and listen to his commands!
I had him out of trouble in no time.
I have been pulling him out of 'tricky' situations for more than 46 years!
Did I mention he has been going stir crazy after this fourth surgery?!

8 comments:

  1. Great save for the fiber. All those colors add a nice depth to it.
    Congrats on the man save. That is just too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a ditch picture! Glad he is ok. He must be going stir crazy. The fiber looks good!

    Do those avocados taste like the CA ones?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see how that spun yarn knits up.
    Dave goes crazy when he's got nothing to do (or is forced to relax). I think we need to teach these men to knit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, now I can't wait to see the yarn done!!! I love Avocado green, but hate avocados!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chuckling at the tractor in the "tricky" position. Many times I had to help mr brother in much the same way. Thanks for triggering that memory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LoVe, LOVE, avocado. They can be really expensive up here in the northwest though so they are a treat when I have one.
    The wool is turning out lovely. It is a very pretty blend.
    And finally... men! They just can't sit still and heal can they? Good thing you were there to be the rescuer.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you were able to rescue him and he did not tip over! I'd love an avocado, I'll be right over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yum, I can’t wait to eat avocado with you!!! Dad and his “oops I got stuck again” streak...remember the time he called Bruce to come help him because he didn’t want you and me to know he had gotten the car stuck on a sandy road?! Ha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

WOOD WORKS

I cleaned the wood shop area;  the tools and the floor, etc so that I could begin work on that burl we acquired a few weeks ago!  It felt so...