Saturday, February 29, 2020

Pre-Headed

 I've started my stuffed cat....I assembled all 6 parts not counting the button eyes to make the head!
The rest of the body will be a snap after this!
(As for the title, it is a beheading when the head is removed from the body but
that isn't the case when you start with the head, right?!  lol
Laugh--it is Leap Year Day and you can't laugh on this day for another four years!)
I dug out the fine fingering yarn to make those replacement blocks
for my friend's antique granny squares afghan.
This was made with a B crochet hook yet it is still too large! (5")
I think that the rest of the blanket has been previously
washed and  shrunk a bit, perhaps?!
I might just make the replacement block with only 6 rounds instead of 7
and see if that puts it in the right size range.
And look!  I brought this African Violet leaf home from my Mom's plant 
back in October and only now has it put up two little leaves!
The dead stub next to the large leaf is the death of the hens and chicks plant I brought home on the same trip.  She died the end of December!
I am excited to have a successful regeneration.
Has anyone else started an African Violet this way?  From whom did you get the slip?

8 comments:

  1. My mother always started her African Violets that way. She had a whole shelf of them in every color in her laundry room right next to her Christmas Cactus. Every time I see a pot of them in the grocery store I think of her. I would love to have one but I know the cats would eat it.
    Kitty is sweet! I can't imagine all the parts to shape that head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me laugh out loud at the pre-heading remark.
    I don't have much luck with African Violets. I bought one for my Mom for Mother's Day two years before she passed. When she died my Dad gave it back to me and I had it for 25 years before it basically died overnight for some reason. I have bought several to replace it but they end up dying within weeks. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong when I had one for 25 years! Any ideas for me?
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother used to keep african violets successfully for many years and she said the trick was not to water them every day - overwatering is a common killer of african violets. She kept them dry on top and once a week or fortnight, depending on the weather and the plant needs, she would place all the pots in a sink of shallow water and let them soak up their moisture from the bottom. I hope this helps!

      Delete
  3. Neat! My jade plant dropped a leaf a while back and I just left it on the soil where it lay. I noticed the other day it has sprouted and is growing new leaves

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom could do that! Congrats. And your Kitty is going to be so so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got the joke right away — same weird sense of humor, perhaps?! :) Hooray for starting a new plant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pre-headed is much better than post-headed!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never knew african violets were easy to propagate in this way!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

A LITTLE OF THIS AND THAT

I finished the mug rugs;  6 of them in fact!  They are 5 x 5".  I am not a coffee or tea drinker but I do like hot chocolate~ I made an...