Thursday, February 6, 2020

When it Needs Fixing, Then Fix It!

 I repaired the errant block and packaged it up for the QOV leader.
(I'm hoping I will be able to be given backing and batting 
so I can quilt it on my frame--we'll see!)
 There were even ladies making these labels once the quilt is finished.
 I'm sorry this is blurry-I don't want to get out of bed to go and retake the shot!
but you can still recognize an old granny square blanket!
A friend asked if it was worth trying to fix it or should she give it a toss for the dog?
 In the more recent past, someone tried replacing it with the right design but not the right yarn!
I'm going to try to crochet a block in some of my wools with a finer yarn and see if it will work.
Time will tell.
 Likewise this old quilt top is still just a top;
  it was given to me a few years ago and I will try to fix it.
Interestingly, our local quilt shop is having their annual quilt show this April and this year they have a new category!  It is a non-judged category for giving life to an old top (one that you did not sew).
I am going to repair and finish this .  There will also be a fabric expert there to help you date the quilt you will now own.  How cool is that?!
 Even the original quilter had to piece the little piece to make the right size!
  The whole quilt is out of scraps and all hand sewn!  It is a full sized quilt. 
 Oh the story this quilt has!  
Any guess as the the age of these fabrics?

5 comments:

  1. That is a really fun quilt show category to include. It will be neat to see what shows up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness...you've really got your hands full with all the repair work. What a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a whole lot of mending!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have people give me blankets, sweaters, socks. Well, anything made with yarn and think I can fix it for them to look like new. They have no idea about yarn weights, material content, etc. I do my best if it is at all possible and most people seem happy although I think a few were disappointed when I can't make an exact match...which is nearly impossible!
    That new quilt category is a great one and I would love to know the story of that quilt too. Oh, if only some of our projects could talk. The angst they could share! :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am horrible, I hate repairs!! I would much rather make from scratch than repair. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

WOOD WORKS

I cleaned the wood shop area;  the tools and the floor, etc so that I could begin work on that burl we acquired a few weeks ago!  It felt so...