Monday, November 14, 2022

WONDERFUL WOOD!

My son called to say he had trimmed a branch off of his Birch tree and did I want it?  Well, I hate to turn wood down so he brought it saying it wasn't large.  No problem to me--there are so many projects from a 4' branch even--like a vase!  In no time, the green wood which cut so easily, became a vase.  It is about 8" tall and has a diameter of 3 1/2".  I hollowed it out about 1 1/2" wide so it makes the neck nice and thinly wooded.  The best part of this wood-it didn't split when I left it until the next day to finish!
I thoroughly enjoyed this lathe work--see the branch in the back ground?  I have plans for the crotch of wood section and then each of the straight sections will become a box, another vase and even a candlestick holder--in which I have fond memories of Christmas decorations made from this tree.  (Note, this is not a white Birch tree which grows in the North--this is called a River Birch that has beige bark that peels and curls but a bit differently than the White Birch.  The inside is still gorgeous!)
 

8 comments:

  1. Very pretty! Such a light, clean-looking wood inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. Is the dark spot where another branch came off? I love that white creamy color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have River Birch here and I know this because I just read a sign in front of one in one of our local wetlands park. I have several birch here in the woods and was wondering which kind I have because until then I had no idea there were different kinds. That is a lovely project. I really like my birch trees but several of them are very close to going into the creek. I haven't got a clue as to how they are hanging on with all this erosion. I can see roots in the creek bank. It's kind of scary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing your wooden projects. That vase is definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a beautiful vase. The wood is such a pretty pale color and I really like the dark spot. I'm looking forward to seeing all of the other things you make with the branch.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, that is just beautiful!!!! You are seriously talented!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

GLOWING WORK!

The two layer cake scrambled tops are finished!   The dimensions are 40 50".   I have the backing so they will be heading to the frame ...