Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Painting is Calming

Another finish!
This will be a good reminder of where I was born,
under the shadow of Mt. Rainier!
 Since this serious painting is finished, it is time to correct this sad attempt--
I first drew it to do as a water color but 
it was splashed by an energetic toddler and I let it languish in the drawer too long.
 I tried to use acrylics to paint over the 'spots' but the paper wasn't sturdy enough 
and there was too much buckling!
 I traced it (gotta love the lightbox!) so I could use the drawing for another attempt.
 After tracing it, I placed some carbon paper under it so I could draw it right onto the canvas!
 Note--they don't call it carbon paper anymore!
It comes in lots of colors and works the same way!
I applied it to a flat canvas--
set it up on the easel - 
So it was time for the fun part--the painting!
The first layers of paint are called color blocking or underpainting--
just waiting now for the details that will make it recognizable
as my parents' home!

9 comments:

  1. This is going to be an especially fun one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a woman with many, many talents!! Looks like a fun process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your landscape is just gorgeous!!! I've have used that very same technique to transfer designs. I hate sketching on my watercolor paper. I can never get the pencil marks out so I scribble on copy paper and then use that transfer paper to get it onto the right paper. I haven't done much lately because other than splashing colors where ever they want to be I have NO talent as a painter. I just did finish a sketch of a New Orleans street I am proud of but I know I will ruin it if I try to put color on it. I may try my colored pencils but.....I don't know. Maybe my thing is just black and white. Lol...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful!
    Does the transfer paper still smell like the old carbon paper?

    I can still remember the smell of the old "Ditto" machines too. I used to help one my teachers roll assignments off and that ink was strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the smell of mimeograph fluid! It was difficult to get dry copies when the machine jammed or had too much fluid. Aaah, the memories of that smell and purple fingers.

      Delete
  5. Is that the house where you were born? That will be a nice memory to have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know you were born in Washington! The process you've shown us fascinates me since I have no artistic skill whatsoever. The drawing is beautiful as it is, I can't wait to see it after you paint it.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post--I had no idea that could be done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your landscape is beautiful and the one in the works looks great. I admire anyone who has the talent to draw. Aside from stick figures and cat faces, I am unable to draw anything recognizable. There was a game years ago where you drew your answer or something like that. Nobody every recognized my drawing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

FRIDAY FINISHES!

The 3-yard quilt top is all sewn together and ready for the quilting frame!  It was pretty easy to stitch it and even a bit boring to just k...