Saturday, June 18, 2022

CHIRPING!

We have baby birds again--
the nest is in one of my hanging baskets; 
 so far, the parents have been doing fine feeding these guys!
The plant has died--I can't water it and drown the babies! lol
The mega vase is finished! 
 The wood has a wonderfully smooth feel 
and lots of texture also! 
(more on the yarn tomorrow!)
It is 15" tall and has lots of visual interest!

I filled dthe cracks so they look like a healed scars!
 And the indents have bumps which would show up 
as bird's eyes in woodwhop lingo (think bird's eye maple). 
 I really had to think about this feature; 
 would I make the vase super thin to make the vase completely round with the little spots in the grain
 OR
 I could leave the indented sides with the bumps
 which is what I did! 
 I have more of this wood so I can't wait to see
 what it under the bark of the other pieces! 
 It's been too hot to work in the garage at the lathe
 but I have enjoyed sanding, polishing and rubbing this indoors.

4 comments:

  1. That wood piece has a lot of character!
    I think my black vultures are going to be bringing me another baby soon. Mom and Dad are showing up with white down feathers plastered on their faces which leads me to believe they are feeding a youngster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More babies! How fun. It's worth the sacrifice of a plant to watch new babies grow and fly away.
    The vase is just beautiful. I love the cracks and the way you filled them in and the bumps too. I've never seen wood like that before and I love it. Hope you have a great Saturday, it's pretty hot here today. Humid too.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those babies are adorable. Sure hope you are recovering. Your vase is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun baby birds…sad plant…beautiful vase!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

GLOWING WORK!

The two layer cake scrambled tops are finished!   The dimensions are 40 50".   I have the backing so they will be heading to the frame ...