Wednesday, June 29, 2022

WATERCOLOR AND WOOD!


From a  crotch of the wild olive tree, I started a bowl last week.
I learned to keep the weight in the center of wider bowls to shape them thinner using centrifigul force.
There sure is a lot of wood chips when you work at the lathe!  Soon enough, the inside of the bowl was finished!  Next was the less glamorous but needful sanding and sanding.
And here is the bowl!  10 1/2" wide and 2 1/2" tall.
It is light in color and weight!  I love the way the grain swirls because it has the mix of the branches growing together.
I kept the low side, knots and worm holes which make it all the more valuable to me. , too. 

 I find these features just add to the beauty of the wood.  I have no specific plans for this bowl so for now will just enjoy its beauty!
I am working up to a cityscape--this looks like the buildings on one of the streets in my nearest town.
We could sit on the roof and enjoy a good knit 'n sit time together!
 

5 comments:

  1. Lovely bowl! My step daughter has a townhouse with a roof garden. I've never been there but I love the idea. I wonder if the mosquitoes are bad that high up? They keep me inside all summer here. Ours never sleep it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the swirls in the bowl. So pretty. Can you imagine the sunsets you could watch up on that roof????

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bowl has a pretty wood grain. Sitting on the roof would be delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful bowl. I would have it on the coffee table just being pretty. :-) I would love to sit on the roof and sit and knit with you. I'll be there before you know it.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

ALMOST A TOP!

  I have all of the pieces blocks finished  and the borders are cut but nothing is sewn to its neighbor yet  but that is on the schedule for...